Thank you to all the applicants for your submissions!! Unfortunately, we can’t respond to all applicants – Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
We appreciate your interest! Keep on listening!!!
The Powell River Community Radio Society applied for and successfully received a grant from The Local Journalism Initiative (LJI) program launched by the Community Radio Fund of Canada and funded by the Government of Canada.
This position is wholly funded by the Community Radio Fund of Canada and the Government of Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative.
The program is focusing on diverse, local communities that may be underserved in the Canadian news landscape. The goal is to increase the production of news in those areas and to make that news more accessible across the country. We’re elevating original, local news.
The goal of CJMP is to work with the journalist and a CJMP news coordinator to produce short audio of daily news briefs specific to Powell River once a day for 20 weeks.
The project will enable the hiring of a journalist to create original local journalism content that meets the diverse needs of the underserved communities of the City of Powell River, the Regional District of Powell River (5 Districts), and Tla-Amin First Nation.
Community Radio Fund of Canada (CRFC) will provide National Information Coordinators as a resource for training, resources, commentary, and other needed support to CJMP and the journalist to achieve the goals of the Project.
The journalist will work alongside and communicate regularly with the National Information Coordinators to ensure all the journalistic content they create is vetted and published via the national LJI platform, Canada-Info.ca.
The journalist hired will be creating journalistic content that pertains to current events or local issues and follows related laws, regulations, conventions, and ethics.
Description of the journalist position
● Title: CJMP Local News Journalist
● Term: 20 weeks contract position from September 2020 to February 2021.
● Salary: $28.00/hour
● Ideal Start Date: September 22, 2020.
● Expected working hours: Monday to Friday 35 hours per week
Job Requirements – Who You Are
● Hold or working towards a degree or diploma in Journalism, Communications or Arts
from an accredited academic or technical institution, OR, have equivalent experience in
broadcast, print/digital journalism or writing.
● Excellent writing skills and research. You love storytelling – from the initial pitch to the
● Strong people skills: You’re a great listener and know how to engage interview subjects.
● Eye for detail and deadline-driven.
● Knowledge of community and regional concerns or news and a passion for local
● Strong skills in both a team setting and with independent work.
● Audio production skills and understanding of a community radio environment.
● Critical thinking and ability to analyze issues.
● Social media savvy.
● Sense of humour.
● Understanding with diversity, different perspectives and sensitive/complex issues.
● Desire to drive news and interest in reporting on a range of topics (city hall, Regional
District, Tla’Amin First Nation, and issues important to Powell River such as affordable
housing, employment, environmental concerns, mental health, poverty, Indigenous rights,
● Able to work with station’s volunteers.
● Attend editorial meetings with station and LJI coordinators as needed.
We’re looking for dynamic, determined journalists who care about local journalism.
If that sounds like you, please apply to Don Mitchinson (email@example.com) with a cover letter describing why you want to work at the station, a current resume and a few examples of your work.
CJMP encourages applications from a diverse range of candidates, including (but not limited to) women, people of colour, those who identify as LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities.
Thank you to everyone for your interest in the LJI program. Unfortunately, we can’t respond to all applicants – Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The Townsite Actors Guild and CJMP90.1FM are presenting “Sorry, Wrong Number,” a radio play by Lucille Fletcher. To listen to the play head on over to cjmp.ca/radio-play!
There will be several live transmissions of it on radio or online that will be free of charge to anyone with a radio or an internet connection!
Dates and times (PT):
- Saturday, June 27/20 at 8:00pm is the premiere!
- Tuesday, June 30/20 at 7:00pm
- Saturday, July 4/20 at 8:00pm
- Tuesday, July 7/20 at 7:00pm
While there are no tickets being sold for this production, we will still need to cover expenses for actors’ honorariums, equipment, props, printing, and marketing. If this play sounds like something you would like to support, we invite you to make a donation of any amount to this GoFundMe Campaign. All funds raised will be split equally between CJMP90.1FM and the Townsite Actors Guild.