A dozen radioheads snugly learning about the craft of researching and producing radio documentary here at the Community Resource Centre on July 21, 2016. Presenters Claudia Medina, Carrie Swiggum and Ioni Wais did a great job covering everything from concept to post-production. Some of the topics covered were:
- Personal access to stories or topics; passion there and where the personal becomes public
- Storytelling craft (narrative arc and creating a ‘container’ for the audience to position themselves within a narrative)
- Audience considerations and the motivation of characters
- When to let your interviewees and materials collected lead you in different directions — and when not to let this happen
- Interview techniques
- Recording techniques and considerations (recording ambient sounds, wearing headphones while recording, eliminating external sound sources, etc.)
- Structure: leading with attention grabbers, and the need to have a clear initial ‘elevator speech’ topic or theme
- Pre-interviewing; not leading characters; avoiding ‘yes’/’no’ answers
- Embracing silence
- Letting interviewees know that it’s ok to have silence and that there will be editing involved
- Rule of 3’s: retell the central theme
- Sound editing essentials
and more, with samples too!
Stay tuned for more FREE audio workshops coming up soon.