Happy New Year to All of CJMP’s Volunteers, Supporters and Listeners!
Thanks to a lot of dedicated volunteers, CJMP grew it’s local-live programming in 2018.
2018 in review…
Last year CJMP received 12 Show Applications. From those applications, 10 new local spoken word/music shows were added to our community’s radio station air waves!
In 2018 we welcomed 12 new programmers and their original, local shows:
- Nabob – Feeding Time
- Lando – Off the Shelf
- Babs – Babs’ Company
- Cindy – Get Interviewed!
- DJ JPD – Rarified Transmissions
- Heather – The Town Verse
- Tyler (and Ben) & Austin – Juicy Tunes
- Kenny Vesterfelt – Talk, Listen and Laugh with DJ Kenny
- DJ SaVan – Pop Off!
- Elizabeth – US of Eh? with DJ Zed
CJMP starts off 2019 with 19 shows providing over 24 hours a week of local live and local pre-recorded programming! Check out our broadcast schedule for show days and times.
CJMP’s newest addition to our local live lineup, Darklight Radio, premiered Saturday, January 19th. Tune in every 1st and 3rd Saturday from 8 to 8:30pm.
CJMP has one Training Programmer starting off the new year with 2 hours of live-on-air- training each week. Tune in as DJ Tony P perfects his DJ skills for his upcoming show, Crowd Control. Tony P can be heard Mondays 6pm to 8pm.
Many thanks and gratitude to all the active CJMP Volunteers that put in hours of effort in the studio and behind the scenes each month!
After all, we are 100% volunteer run.
Want to be a part of CJMP’s future programming?
If you have a radio show idea and you’d like to talk to someone about getting it on the air you can fill out an application here.
If you’re interested in talking to someone about what’s involved in volunteering as an engineer / producer for a radio show, go to our contact page and select “creating a new radio program”.
Please attend the Annual General Meeting of the Powell River Community Radio Society (operating CJMP 90.1 fm Powell River Community Radio) to be held this coming Thursday, November 24th at 7PM at the Community Resource Centre (4752 Joyce Ave.) The event is informal, open to all, with dessert catering by CJMP’s new sponsor, The Convenient Chef (for sponsorship info, please click here).
Sustaining Memberships of just 33 cents per day ($10/mo.) are crucial to maintaining and improving CJMP, and to make our plans for a larger broadcast range (our continuing “Top the Tower” efforts) and to move the station to a more visible street-access/ wheelchair- accessible space. We’re even getting little bits of support from listeners around the world who listen to our programs via web streaming services (click here), but – so far – not so much from Powell Riverites.
It’s time to step on up and become an active part of local independent media, as a volunteer, as a sponsor, and as a Sustaining Member! Sustaining donations can be set up via PayPal, Credit or Debit cards, and you can also use our handy form to set up a recurring monthly or one-time donation via First Credit Union Powell River branch (you don’t need to have an account there, either. Our account # there is #422253).
If you would rather send us a cheque, you can do that as well: c/o PRCRS at Powell River Community Radio Society (CJMP), 4476C Marine Avenue, Powell River BC, V8A 2K5.
You can even give the gift of a regular ($10) or sustaining membership to a friend for their birthday or Christmas, and they get a lovely locally-designed e-card of your choice too (click here). We also have CJMP t-shirts available for $25 (no tax) at Base Camp Arts Cafe on Marine Ave.– $13 from every sale goes directly to CJMP’s promotions budget.
Here is how CJMP Supports Powell River
- CJMP News broadcasts LIVE Fridays Noon-1:00PM and rebroadcasts 11AM-Noon on Saturdays, and available for download as a downloadable audio file (or podcast) at cjmp.ca/podcast, along with many of our other programs!) You may have heard interviews with local city counsellors, and movers and shakers from around the world, as well as your next door neighbour on CJMP News! This is a group ‘citizen journalism’ effort with producer Carrie Swiggum at the helm.
- We help get the word out on community events by on-air mentions of non-profit and arts events in Powell River, as well as though pre-recorded audio art events via Coastal Colour (you can submit community event announcements here).
- We produce FREE Public Service Announcements for local community groups (submit one here).
- We provide FREE access to the airwaves to the local community; get a program, volunteer to help out on a program or take on some of the many fundraising, outreach, and technical aspects involved in creating community radio, and learn lots in the process, while meeting new friends!
- We have a free drop-in “Happy Hour” Tuesdays 3-5PM at the station (4476C Marine Ave. above and behind Westview Bowling); folks can borrow or use our equipment on site to create radio programs, station IDs, PSAs, and radio spots/documentaries or more experimental work.
- We are OPEN to the public Tuesdays-Fridays 11-4PM; call to make sure– 604.485.0088. Had we more room, we could also offer meeting spaces and work spaces for radio and community groups.
- We offer periodic training sessions in radio technology and methodology for FREE.
- CJMP is a hub of our local community, providing music and spoken word programs that are just not produced or available via corporate media — listen 24/7 at 90.1f or streaming free online here; view our program schedule here.
- We remain commercial-free, and independent of corporate interests (we do the accept program and station sponsorship from local businesses or community groups only); unlike many campus stations you may be familiar with, we are not funded by a university via student fees
- We support community events by also attending, participating, and documenting them and redistributing information through various media