Please attend the Annual General Meeting of the Powell River Community Radio Society (operating CJMP 90.1 fm Powell River Community Radio) to be held this coming Thursday, November 24th at 7PM at the Community Resource Centre (4752 Joyce Ave.) The event is informal, open to all, with dessert catering by CJMP’s new sponsor, The Convenient Chef (for sponsorship info, please click here).
Sustaining Memberships of just 33 cents per day ($10/mo.) are crucial to maintaining and improving CJMP, and to make our plans for a larger broadcast range (our continuing “Top the Tower” efforts) and to move the station to a more visible street-access/ wheelchair- accessible space. We’re even getting little bits of support from listeners around the world who listen to our programs via web streaming services (click here), but – so far – not so much from Powell Riverites.
It’s time to step on up and become an active part of local independent media, as a volunteer, as a sponsor, and as a Sustaining Member! Sustaining donations can be set up via PayPal, Credit or Debit cards, and you can also use our handy form to set up a recurring monthly or one-time donation via First Credit Union Powell River branch (you don’t need to have an account there, either. Our account # there is #422253).
If you would rather send us a cheque, you can do that as well: c/o PRCRS at Powell River Community Radio Society (CJMP), 4476C Marine Avenue, Powell River BC, V8A 2K5.
You can even give the gift of a regular ($10) or sustaining membership to a friend for their birthday or Christmas, and they get a lovely locally-designed e-card of your choice too (click here). We also have CJMP t-shirts available for $25 (no tax) at Base Camp Arts Cafe on Marine Ave.– $13 from every sale goes directly to CJMP’s promotions budget.
Here is how CJMP Supports Powell River
- CJMP News broadcasts LIVE Fridays Noon-1:00PM and rebroadcasts 11AM-Noon on Saturdays, and available for download as a downloadable audio file (or podcast) at cjmp.ca/podcast, along with many of our other programs!) You may have heard interviews with local city counsellors, and movers and shakers from around the world, as well as your next door neighbour on CJMP News! This is a group ‘citizen journalism’ effort with producer Carrie Swiggum at the helm.
- We help get the word out on community events by on-air mentions of non-profit and arts events in Powell River, as well as though pre-recorded audio art events via Coastal Colour (you can submit community event announcements here).
- We produce FREE Public Service Announcements for local community groups (submit one here).
- We provide FREE access to the airwaves to the local community; get a program, volunteer to help out on a program or take on some of the many fundraising, outreach, and technical aspects involved in creating community radio, and learn lots in the process, while meeting new friends!
- We have a free drop-in “Happy Hour” Tuesdays 3-5PM at the station (4476C Marine Ave. above and behind Westview Bowling); folks can borrow or use our equipment on site to create radio programs, station IDs, PSAs, and radio spots/documentaries or more experimental work.
- We are OPEN to the public Tuesdays-Fridays 11-4PM; call to make sure– 604.485.0088. Had we more room, we could also offer meeting spaces and work spaces for radio and community groups.
- We offer periodic training sessions in radio technology and methodology for FREE.
- CJMP is a hub of our local community, providing music and spoken word programs that are just not produced or available via corporate media — listen 24/7 at 90.1f or streaming free online here; view our program schedule here.
- We remain commercial-free, and independent of corporate interests (we do the accept program and station sponsorship from local businesses or community groups only); unlike many campus stations you may be familiar with, we are not funded by a university via student fees
- We support community events by also attending, participating, and documenting them and redistributing information through various media
CJMP’s Rabideye blasts through the upcoming weekly local arts news during the CJMP News program (LIVE on Fridays Noon-1PM, rebroadcasting Saturdays 11am-Noon) with a 5-minute aural arts sprint!
Want to submit a message to be read on air? Fill in this easy form (oh, it’s FREE).
Listen up. It’s ear-catching radio.
1000 Tiny Magnets (Mille petits aimants, or simply 1000TM) airs dance music Fridays 1-3PM, rebroadcasting Saturdays 7-9PM, and… this Friday June 24th, he will play a special 2-hour set featuring French dance music (featuring the French language, by French artists and producers…) in honour of La Fête Nationale/ La St. Jean Baptiste holiday celebrated in Québec, whence the rabideye sprung. Download-worthy.